Thursday, August 13, 2015

Great Smoky Mountain National Park


We took the pop up to Mile High campground near Cherokee NC so we could visit Wade's second National Park. I hope he grows to love these national treasures like I do. Daddy helped him stamp his passport. 


We hiked to Andrew's bald with our group for Saturday lunch. It was about 3.5 miles round trip and he did pretty good. It was more strenuous than out AT hike several weeks earlier and without a nap he requested Daddy carry him some on the return. 


Once back we scaled the tower at Clingman's Dome. I was here as a kid but in a complete fog. 



I lost my footing on the way down and was carrying Wade. We crashed to the pavement first on my knees and then forward. He hit his head but thankfully not too hard. It scared us both and I am so grateful the only lasting pain is my two kneecaps. They are getting better every day and won't stop me from doing my first triathlon on Sunday. 

We also got to see a lot of Elk!!  They have been missing from NC for over 100 years and it appears the reintroduction that started about ten years ago was successful!


Our campsite was perfect, just look at this view and it helped to have good friends along to share the trails!


1 comment:

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

Looks like a perfect trip. I haven't been there for a while I'll have to take the PUP