Monday, October 22, 2007

Chicken House


Go Postal has a friend who raises chickens for a living. I was curious (and I admit a little apprehensive) about how this process worked since you drive by so many of these houses in North Carolina. He is under contract and really does nothing but provide the enviornement and care for these little guys for about 20 weeks at a time. The chickens, theirfeed, and all other care is done by the company he contracts for. We walked into the house and I expected to see cages but instead it was a great big open area, with hoses that ran down rows for water and feed pans stationed every few feet. At this point in their lives the lights come on at 6:30 am and lights out at 6:30pm and they get as much food as they want. From his farm they go on to another where they lay the eggs that become the next generation (if I understood that correctly) The little males were separate from the females even at this age and I had a ball just watching the group dynamics. This little guy was curious enough to check me out.
They also have a few cows, burros, and a goat named Elvis. I wonder if I had to feed chickens, our schedule could be lights on about 8 am?

1 comment:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I think you could set the lights on a timer!