Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hello from Aspen!



Day One: Snowmass
Bluebird sky and high around 30 made for a great first day. We are staying in condos at Snowmass so we just have to walk across the street to hit the Gondola
Day Two: Aspen Mountain
This is the area right in Aspen, it is very intimidating when you look at the steep base....but you take a Gondola to the top and can ski all kinds of blue and black runs. It was snowing most of the day so visibility was tough.
Day Three: Aspen Highlands
I loved this mountain!!! This is the local's favorite ski area and I can see why. There were very few people on the slopes after lunch and it was a dream to ski with the few inches of fresh snow we received the night before. I had a problem with my ski boots on day two so had to buy new ones (this deserves a separate post). I had a little trouble by lunch with a bad headache. I think the elevation and de-hydration was contributing so I took an extra long lunch break. But, I saw Johnny Mosley leave the restaurant and I followed him and the group he was skiing with down a run just to see him ski! Johnny won the gold medal in the Salt Lake Olympics for moguls and did a trick called the dinner roll to win. I only recognized him because he also hosted a show on MTV.


Here is Go Postal and fellow Boonville Buddy at Puppy Point...I dared them to pose like Puppys. They skiied some double blacks while I took my lunch break but were still up for skiing until the lifts closed. I am not sure how long Go Postal could ski before needing a break....he is like the enegizer bunny and could go on and on and on. Whole Wheat also skiied with us in the morning and he is always great to give you a few pointers to help you get your turns even smoother since he teaches lessons up at Appalachian Ski Mountain.

Today is Day Four....and I am taking a rest day. My heart would love to ski because it looks like another great sunny day and the views will be awesome, but my legs are really tired so we are going out for breakfast then in to explore the town of Aspen. I will be an easy day on my legs...but maybe not my wallet! Too bad there is no quilt shop in Aspen! They are calling for another snow event starting tonight which may bring up to 8" of fresh snow. I will have to start singing the bunny foo foo song to get my rhythm for skiing in those conditions. I still need to hit Buttermilk and I will have been on all four mountains. We will ski Snowmass again on Friday because we want to see a "Big Air" competition they are having in the evening. Then the bus picks us up Saturday at 4:30 am for our trip back to Denver. Maybe we shouldn't even go to bed Friday night!!!









3 comments:

Salem Stitcher said...

Looks like you guys are having a great time. I love the picture of you two with the mountains in the background. You must be sending good snow vibes this way...we got a surprise snow this evening and have 2" on the ground!

Safe travels!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

These are happy, memorable days for you guys. It looks fabulous! If you're taking it easy you must be really tired! A little shopping therapy will undoubtedly do the trick, for your health and for strengthening the economy. (You are such a good citizen.) See you soon!

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there with you!!! I MISS BEING THERE WITH YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!! Especially since I feel too far away!