Monday, March 1, 2010

Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival

Mid Atlantic quilt festival is held each year in Hampton Va but usually right after my ski trip so I don't usually take vacation so close together. But this year....since I still have a month left of part time work, I decided to join my quilting buddies and head up. It is has incredible quilts from amateurs and professionals and a great big vendor mall. It took a whole day just looking at all the booths (and trying to figure out how to spend my limited budget) I bought a great big ironing board that I hope to fasten to the wall in the new sewing room, some fat quarters and yardage for a scrappy quilt I want to make by Augusta Cole....and my July quilt.

I want a bed quilt for every season since there isn't a lot of wall space in Go Postal's cabin. This pattern was kitted up at the Bonnie Blue booth. It is called Old Abe and is made with Civil War reproduction fabrics. Won't it look great someday in a cabin? I especially like it because the eagles are already printed and even though these look like lemoynd (sp?) stars, they are actually constructed using half square triangles.












This is a close up of one of my favorite quilts in the show. Anyone that has every owned a siamese recognizes that slightly cross eyed look that they give you when looking up. The thread work in this quilt was great and gave it such a realistic look.







On the way home Sunday I realized I was only about 10 miles from Jamestown, so I decided to stop and visit the site of the first colony in America. In 2007 it celebrated its 400th anniversary. The bricks on the tower end of the church are still in place from 1696. I realize in Europe there are historical places/buildings that span back a lot further but its still cool to see her in America. This area had a lot of neat historcal sites and things to do so it would be a great place to return for an extended visit.


Now I have to get busy for our John Flynn lecture and workshop. He is teaching Storm at Sea and it should be a lot of fun. The guys are all invited tonight to hear how this 6' Montana Civil Engineer quilt his career to become a full time quilt teacher and pattern maker.

No comments: