Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Zorro enjoying my first day of not getting ready for work in a morning flurry.



So here is a project I will be taking to Black Mt. My Mom bought this top years ago when an older lady came to their guild in Anacortes Washington. She was moving to a nursing home and needed to get rid of her quilts. Its a hand pieced feathered star, and although the fabrics aren't the best and there are a few points missing their tips, its lovely. She only wanted $35...and Mom was a sucker for anything Red. Mom gave her double that and promised her it would be loved. This red bled all over Mrs Goodneedle's ironing board cover when I tried to iron it...so I almost gave up on finishing it. But I washed it yesterday with about a box of Shout Color Catchers (these things are awesome) and to my suprise very little dye migrated. HookinBuddy suggested that it was the heat that made the dye bleed...so I laid it out in the sun to dry. I think I will baste it this weekend and start to hand quilt it. It may take me a while to complete, but what a lovely quilt for February! (I hope to have a quilt for each month of the year someday)

3 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, it washed up extremely well! YAY!! You should write a testimony for Color Catcher sheets. Well done~

LauraQuilts said...

Are you going to baste it here or up on the mountain? I have some "holdy" things that will keep your sandwich secure if you plan to pin baste it, otherwise, it's masking tape and the floor (YIKES)! I'll bring either . . .

Carrie P. said...

So glad it didn't bleed more. It is lovely and how great that you are going to hand quilt it.