Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Hello from DR

I have had a nice stay in the Dominican Republic....its about 80 here today and sunny! Too bad I have spent most of my time in a conference room! We are staying in Santiago (near the airport) and our textile plant is in Bonao (center of island) Yesterday we did travel to Santo Domingo to see a few sew plants and I know just enough Spanish to ask the driver about a good place to buy coffee. We stopped at a latin version of Wal Mart and I bought 8lbs of Santo Domingo coffee (about $3.50 per pound) First one to post that they want to try it can have a package! I think they must use about a cup of ground coffee to brew a pot, so I have had to restrict my intake. I have brought 33 children's quilts to the plant, and the manager is going to distribute them to flood victims and the girl's orphanage down the street. I thought I might get to go with him, but they announced a big management re-org here today so he will be tied up. He promised to send some pictures, and its probably better I not see the orphans or I would next be trying to figure out how to take one back with me. He didn't know a spanish word for quilt but he knew blanket.


This country has made a lot of progress since I was here as an intern in 1989. Our textile plant will be intstalling a bio-fuel plant here next year to burn cocunut shells and other agricultural by products instead of bunker oil. We have eaten at the plant the last two days but may venture out for dinner s0 maybe I will get some tostones tonight!

3 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

The coffee there doesn't sound dissimilar to Puerto Rican coffee, but I loved it... spoon and all;) Ha! I'm sure it would have been heartbreaking to have gone along to see the quilt recipients. Maybe this is just as well. I'm eager to see the photos that were taken in your absence. Safe travels!

Salem Stitcher said...

I'll take you up on that coffee! The 80 degrees and sunny doesn't sound too bad either. It makes me feel good about the quilts and love you are leaving behind for those children. Have a safe trip home!

Anonymous said...

I'll take some of that coffee too - but I guess I'm not the first to post!!!! And I have some Puerto Rican coffee in my freezer.

Too bad they are working you too much!!!!! FIGURES!

I'm not sure if they call them "tostones" is DR or not. You'll have to let me know.

HAVE FUN!