Monday, August 25, 2008

Rafting the Nantahala

Nobody Fell Out! This is the last rapid (and largest) on the Nantahala river. We had a great guide named Jesse that took the time to help the kids learn how to sit and paddle...and insure KH that he could get us all down the river safe. The water flows from the bottom of the Fontana Lake and they generate electricity during the day......so its about 48 degrees. Note the wincing on JH's face as he takes a lap full. MH, JH, Go Postal and I all rode the two loops at Tsali you can ride on Saturday for a total of about 16 miles on our mountain bikes Saturday...so it was nice to give the legs a rest on Sunday and use our arms. After a lunch of pizza and watching the hot shot kayakers in a competition....we all headed home. I am sure JH drove in silence as everyone was pretty worn out.

Looking at the photo...MH is in the front on the right side of our boat, with Go Postal and I behind him. JH is in the front on the left, McH is tucked in behind him with my sister KH grabbing her from behind.

5 comments:

Quilting Memories said...

My DH, my Sister, BIL and I went canoeing down the New River twice, enjoyed that , but NEVER would I try what you BRAVE ONES are doing...Looks like you are having fun though....Bobbin

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

What a fantastic shot!! That looks like so much fun!

Salem Stitcher said...

Man, that looks like fun! I don't know if I have the heart for it or not. The whole falling out thing is what scares me... and the rocks. Tubing down the slow water is more my speed. Everyone holding one together with a cooler in its own tube in the middle...kinda like a giant amoeba.

Almond-Rubio Family said...

WHAT A BLAST!!!!!! The looks on everyone's faces are priceless!

Karen Newman Fridy said...

You are the bravest woman I know! Looks like fun!!