Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Quilter's Send Off

Go Postals BIL lost his 95 year old grandmother over the weekend. As I read her obituary I learned about her very full life. One thing it mentioned was her love of quilting. But what a great image when we went to the visitation....her casket was covered with one of her quilts...a Cathedral Window instead of flowers. All four of her daughters also quilted and they noticed my quilted log cabin pin on my coat (and probably me pausing a little longer over her quilt than others). They immediately told me about all the quilts she made for family and church members over the years. Its great how we quilters can so quickly connect.
I remembered back to my mother's visitation. There were lots of folks I had never met before, but her quilt guild friends announced who they were and quickly offered to finish any projects that she may have in progress.....you just don't get that kind of warmth from most!!

7 comments:

Carrie P. said...

So sorry for the loss of Go Postal's grandma. That is so neat that the kids put a quilt around her. One of these days I am going to make a cathedral window quilt.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I know what you mean. The quilting community is a close one, that seems to be universal. I need to start making some phenomenal quilts, just in case, that will be the last one that my friends see.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

What a neat way to bring joy into a day of sorrow and to connect friends to her life's story. I imagine you will learn even more about her quilting in the days to come.

On my list of USO's (unstarted o's) is a quilted pall...have designs floating around in my head, just haven't gotten around to pulling them out, but absolutely, that's what I want when my time comes - to be covered with a quilt.

Salem Stitcher said...

Quilting is like love. It is a common language.

Almond-Rubio Family said...

I'm 6 months pregnant and very emotional these days! Your post made me weepy!!! I want to be a quilter :o)

Quiltin Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quiltin Jenny said...

Condolences on your loss. We just lost my 92 year old grandmother in November, and one of the moments I will cherish is when the funeral home came to pick her up, they had a special quilt, almost like a sleeping bag, on the stretcher. We left the room so they could get her situated before they let us have a few minutes to say goodbye. She looked so cozy and warm in that quilt instead of on some cold sheet that I knew she was in good hands.

Something about a quilt just says "care" to me. I think I need to make sure my family knows that I'd rather have a quilt than flowers any day. What a loving gesture.

Hugs and prayers to all of you.

Jenny