Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sister Annie

Dad brings a long time member of my church with him now that she has moved to a nursing home (she's 90 years young) She has always seemed like a go getter to me. She and I talked about quilting this weekend, I never knew she was a quilter. Seems her mobile home was sold along with the contents when she made her recent move, and all her quilting templates were sold inside her desk except one.

So, she makes the same quilt pattern over and over, then hand quilts them. She has asked Dad several times if he would like one. I don't think her children are around much and she has run out of people to quilt for. I pray that if I live until I am 90 I keep my eyesight, dexterity, and mind so that I can still quilt. I also pray I never run out of friends and family to quilt for.

I told her about the guild's preemie quilt program and still had some photographs in the car from our recent show. She lit up when I suggested I send her a few tops and batting so she could quilt a gift for a baby and their family. You can bet I will make sure she gets a picture of the baby that receives her quilt.

4 comments:

Salem Stitcher said...

That is wonderful! I'm sure it will mean the world to her to be able to quilt for those babies.

I hope we are all still quilting in our 90's.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, my! Yep... we've gotta do this, quilt 'til we wilt; just as long as we can! I LOVE this, the circle of life through quilts!

Karen Newman Fridy said...

That's is great!! I can't wait to see one of her quilts! How cool for a 90 something lady to be able to touch the life of one born too soon. Life does come full circle and back around again. I hope I can still do that when I'm where she is...

Quilting Memories said...

At 90 years, and still able to quilt would be a wonderful thing!!!! Some parent will be so excited and this will also make the 90 year old happy also.
Bobbin