Friday, May 28, 2010

Have a Safe Memorial Day

I am the first to admit, that growing up Memorial Day just signaled the start of summer. My sister's birthday usually falls near this weekend and mine was only six days later. I was lucky to have never lost anyone close to me as they defended our country. I did have a great uncle that was shot down in the last few weeks of WWII, and my father and his two brothers all served a few years in the Air Force during peace time. More recently I had a cousin to serve in Dessert Storm and now a "soon to be" nephew serving in Iraq. I hope we can all pause this weekend to offer up a prayer for all our service folks serving and their families. I would love to think we will someday not need to send our soldiers all over the world but for now and so thankful that there are still folks willing to serve. May God Bless

3 comments:

Salem Stitcher said...

Yes, God bless them all.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Well said.

Remembering those who bravely served us so valiantly so that we may remain free and wishing God's blessing on their families.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Indeed. While we enjoy our time off and our barbeques and our quilting friends :) ....someone keeps watch on the front lines to make it all possible. I share your wish for a day when it is not necessary for them to do so.

My dad served and was wounded in WWII. I always get a lump in my throat when I see folks going on the Flight of Honor to DC. What a great gift to them!