Tuesday, November 25, 2008

More Attic Antics


So this is a flying squirrel. I never knew they look so much like chipmunks. Remember Go Postal made some thresholds at the attic accesses so no critter could get under the doors into the house anymore.....what we didn't count on was that there was a nest of flying squirrels already made in the closet where all my sewing fabric/wrapping paper is kept.
Yesterday my housekeeper called to inform me that a baby flying squirrel was sitting on my sofa table in the living room when she came downstairs. She didn't notice it at first, but Zorro was intently sitting on the back of the couch (less than 3 ft away, not much of a killer huh) watching something. She FREAKED. Her husband came over and they finally got it out the front door.
So my brave sister (mother of two boys) went into the closet after work to investigate. We quickly could smell that this would not be a search and rescue mission anymore...but a recovery. I took the boys downstairs to eat pizza and watch Star Wars. Dead stuff is just something I can't do very well.
She came downstairs with a plastic target bag that was full of rafia and other ribbons....and said the problem was in there. Neither of us were brave enough to fully investigate so we chunked it into the back of my truck that sits outside for my brother in law and older nephew to investigate when they get into town tonight.
I don't know if the baby died and the housekeeper saw Mom...or if it was a sibling that just was more determined to survive by coming down and getting some of Zorro's food. But hopefully the drama is over. Although something still is getting into the attic, I heard it scurry across the ceiling last night about 2:30. That can be a project for the guys after they eat too much turkey.
I never had seen flying squirells....see how I would have confused it with a chipmunk?

4 comments:

Almond-Rubio Family said...

GO MARY!!!!!! I'm glad you've got reinforcements coming in to help with the rest!

Salem Stitcher said...

It does look like a chipmunk. I didn't even know we had flying squirrels around here.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

It sure does look like a chippy...wonder if I've ever seen a flying squirrel and mistook it...hmmm. Regardless, I'm glad your sister was willing to, ahem, recover (eewwww!) the remains...sure hope you get the rest of what's scurrying around!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Had a family nesting in my bluebird house once... I took care of them. Yep, li'l ol' me!! I like bluebirds better than flying squirrels, none have dared to come back here. Call me if you need me. ;)